Our best-selling Moderation flower essence formula helps overbearing dogs with domineering personality traits that are quick to act out if "their rules" are broken.
These are typically bossy, controlling dogs that may feel the need to regularly put everyone (or a select few) around them in their place. One of our most consistently successful formulas!
"Wow, what difference! I give him a couple of sprays before we leave for class and he can now walk in to the training building without all the "I'm here and this is my building!" antics.
He looks around much more calmly as we go in and has not felt the need to tell other dogs off who were already in the building. He still has issues when dogs get too close at times but it's improving! Thank you, Julie, for these great formulas."
Moderation: Bach flowers to reduce controlling, bossy, "fun police" behavior in dogs
Lighten up over-bearing, nit-picky, bossy dogs with Bach flower essences. Use Moderation to help:
- reduce resource guarding and possessive aggression, particularly when the behavior is meant to control and assert dominance.
- tone down and encourage self-control and moderation in too-intense, over the top individuals that "tell others off" suddenly and explosively.
- lighten up high-status (and status-seeking) dogs that take offense when their "rules" are broken.
- increase tolerance and acceptance in dogs that become jealous and annoyed over small infractions.
- help relax the intense, always-on-the-job dog that could stand to take life a little less seriously.
- improve patience and cooperation in dogs that get bad-tempered, bossy, and impatient when your attention is not on them (such as when you talk to a friend, pet or work with another dog, etc.).
- improve natural communication and self control in the under-socialized dog that resorts to loud, abrasive communication because s/he doesn't know any better.
Aldaron Essences formulas frequently combined with Moderation
- Very Scary Things is an excellent addition with dogs that are intense and bossy, but have anxiety or specific fears.
- Hyper-Drive and Moderation are a match made in heaven :-). The intense, high-drive, easily-fixated Hyper-Drive dog is often bossy and controlling, so these blends are often used together for good effect.
"I began using the Hyper-Drive and noticed some effect on my very busy girl, (2 year old Rottweiler, competition dog). After speaking with Julie, I ordered Moderation and began using it with the Hyper Drive.
The results have been wonderful. My busy girl has been able to focus on her jobs and has become a pleasure to train. I sincerely thank Julie for her help and I'm excited at the progress we have made and where this will take us."
More Aldaron flower essence blends for bratty, pushy, dominant dog behavior:
- Dominance & Territoriality is a very similar formula, but is less for sudden acting out or explosive reactions, and more for territorial dog behavior and challenging via stiff body language, posturing, hard stares and glaring, etc.
- Try our Equilibrium formula for the dog that becomes threatening and bullying when stressed or fearful.
- Fear & Suspicion is the formula of choice when aggressive behaviors are driven by fear, defensiveness, and suspicion. Perfect for the dog that has learned to protect itself in order to prevent scary or overwhelming things from happening.
- Over-Protective is similar to Dominance & Territoriality formula, but also addresses fear issues as well as over-concern for loved ones.
- Hyper Drive - It may be tempting to think that any dog ignoring direction is behaving "dominantly". However, the Hyper-Drive dog is so focused on their own concerns that they see and hear nothing else. It may come across as bossiness when he ignores – or plows through - anyone and anything to accomplish what his mind is on, but that is incidental, not an attempt to control others.
- None sound quite right? You can Design Your Own Formula using the help of our article, Using Flower Essences to Help Your Reactive Dog.
Traditional brandy-preserved: Spring water, brandy (20%), essences of Vervain, Vine, Impatiens, Chicory, Holly, Cherry Plum flowers.
Glycerite: Vegetable glycerin, spring water, essences of Vervain, Vine, Impatiens, Chicory, Holly, Cherry Plum flowers.
Three to four times each day, give your dog 3-4 drops (or 1 spray), either straight into the dog's mouth or added to a treat or meal. Increase frequency as needed in times of stress. Improvement typically begins within 3 to 14 days and gradually builds over time.
Read our Instructions on Using and Storing Your Aldaron Essences' Flower Essence Formula for complete instructions for using Aldaron Essences.
For more options on how to give your dog flower essences, see Simple, Effective Ways to Give Flower Essences to Animals.
Flower essences, considered a subtle energy therapy, work to gently correct imbalances in emotional energies. In most cases, you will start by seeing a more balanced, even-keeled reaction in situations that normally trigger a negative or extreme response in your dog.
This means that oftentimes what you're looking for is an absence of negative behaviors, or a reduction in their intensity or duration. This is typically intermittent at first, becoming more consistent over time.
As you might expect, early behavioral progress tends to be in areas that are less stressful or habitual for the dog, with improvement in more difficult situations building over time. Reinforcing (with praise, affection, etc) the improved responses you see will help speed the process along and help solidify the new, more balanced reactions.
On a physical level, it’s not uncommon to see "softer" eyes, and softer, less tense, more fluid body language, sometimes within minutes of giving the formula.
This doesn't always happen - it seems that the more out of balance (e.g. fearful, reactive, stressed) the dog is, the more dramatic the shift will be when first exposed to flower essences. Dogs that are less energetically "out of alignment" tend to respond more gradually and subtly to the balancing effects of flower remedies.
A broad look at how flower essences can help your dog is available in our article, Dog Training or Behavior Problem? Try Flower Essences.
Aldaron Essences formulas, and flower essences in general, are not medications and are not a substitute for veterinary care. Behavior problems can be a sign of something physically wrong – please consult with your animal health care professional regularly, and if your dog experiences any sudden or dramatic change in behavior.
In cases of aggression or any threatening or potentially dangerous behavior, Aldaron Essences should always be used in conjunction with, and within the overall framework of a sound, behavior-based training program.
Sizes & Servings
Our most popular size for first time buyers is the 1 oz dropper bottle. It contains approximately 600 drops, and will last about 67 days when given at 3 drops, 3 times per day. To compare number of servings, how long a bottle will last, and even your average cost per week for each size, see our Aldaron Essences Sizes and Servings Comparison.
Brandy or Glycerin?
The traditional choice for preserving flower essences, brandy has excellent preservative qualities, offering a shelf life of up to 3 years. For those wishing to avoid even small amounts of alcohol, glycerin is a good alternative. It's an effective preservative, although less so than brandy. Glycerites should be used within 12-18 months. Read our full comparison of the pro's and con's of brandy vs glycerin as preservative.
Dropper or Sprayer?
The choice between dropper and fine mist sprayer is really a matter of personal preference (yours and your dog's). Each is equally effective for administering flower essences. If you're unsure which to choose, read our comparison of dropper versus sprayer.