Aldaron Essences' Poise flower essence formula improves confidence and self control in fear-reactive dogs. Extremely useful in alleviating "fight, flight or freeze" panic reactions, reducing fears and anxiety, and improving self control in strongly fear-reactive dogs. Poise can also be a very helpful aid in separation anxiety cases where the behavior is marked by panic and loss of control.
“One of our seniors started having severe panic attacks a year ago… the panic attacks are extreme, panting, shaking, escape mode... We have had him on Poise for five days now and the changes are incredible...”
Use Poise flower essence blend for dogs to help:
- Restore calm in dogs prone to panicking when confined, cornered, or restrained.
- Soothe terrified dogs that panic and "lose it" (either emotionally, or physically - losing control of bladder, bowels, anal glands) at the vet, groomer, when surrounded by people, etc.
- Improve confidence and composure in show dogs that freak out when examined by a judge.
- Reduce panic in dogs that freeze in place when stressed, their eyes darting, telling you they'd like to be anywhere but here.
- Helpful for dogs that panic and severely stress over car travel.
- Separation anxiety marked by panic and loss of control (either destructiveness or loss of bodily functions). See also our I'll Be Back flower essence blend for Separation Anxiety in dogs.
- Dogs with severe fears brought on by a traumatic event.
- Dogs that panic and react excessively when confronted with new, novel things or situations.
Similar Aldaron Essences Canine Behavior Support Formulas
- Very Scary Things is our Bach flower blend for stressed, fearful, anxious dogs. The difference would be that Poise dogs tend to "lose it" (or freeze), whereas Very Scary Things dogs may get very agitated, but generally don't tip over into complete out-of-their-mind panic.
- High Anxiety is much like Very Scary Things, but for intense, high-drive dogs. These dogs can really work themselves up when fearful and anxious, but remain in control. (It can, admittedly, be a fine line between the two, and hard to tell the difference.)
- I'll Be Back contains similar flower essences to Poise, but is specifically for anxiety, panic, and loss of control related to emotional attachments.
- None sound quite right? You can Design Your Own Formula using the help of our article, Flower Essences to Help Combat Stress, Fear, and Anxiety in Dogs.
Traditional brandy-preserved: Spring water, brandy (20%), Rescue Remedy, essences of Aspen, Mimulus, Rock Rose, Oak, Cherry Plum flowers.
Glycerite: Vegetable glycerin, spring water, Rescue Remedy, essences of Aspen, Mimulus, Rock Rose, Oak, Cherry Plum flowers.
Three to four times each day, give your dog 3-4 drops (or 1 spray), either straight into the dog's mouth or added to a treat or meal. Increase frequency as needed in times of stress. Improvement typically begins within 3 to 14 days and gradually builds over time. Read our Instructions on Using and Storing Your Aldaron Essences' Flower Essence Formula.
Flower essences, considered a subtle energy therapy, work to gently correct imbalances in emotional energies. In most cases, you will start by seeing a more balanced, even-keeled reaction in situations that normally trigger a negative or extreme response in your dog. This means that oftentimes what you're looking for is an absence of negative behaviors, or a reduction in their intensity or duration. This is typically intermittent at first, becoming more consistent over time. As you might expect, early behavioral progress tends to be in areas that are less stressful or habitual for the dog, with improvement in more difficult situations building over time. Reinforcing (with praise, affection, etc) the improved responses you see will help speed the process along and help solidify the new, more balanced reactions.
On a physical level, it’s not uncommon to see "softer" eyes, and softer, less tense, more fluid body language, sometimes within minutes of giving the formula. This doesn't always happen - it seems that the more out of balance (e.g. fearful, reactive, stressed) the dog is, the more dramatic the shift will be when first exposed to flower essences. Dogs that are less energetically "out of alignment" tend to respond more gradually and subtly to the balancing effects of flower remedies.
A more in-depth look is available in our article, Flower Essences - What They Are, and How They Can Help your Dog.
Aldaron Essences formulas, and flower essences in general, are not medications and are not a substitute for veterinary care. Behavior problems can be a sign of something physically wrong – please consult with your animal health care professional regularly, and if your dog experiences any sudden or dramatic change in behavior. In cases of aggression or any threatening or potentially dangerous behavior, Aldaron Essences should always be used in conjunction with, and within the overall framework of a sound, behavior-based training program.
Sizes & Servings
Our most popular size for first time buyers is the 1 oz dropper bottle. It contains approximately 600 drops, and will last about 67 days when given at 3 drops, 3 times per day. To compare number of servings, how long a bottle will last, and even your average cost per week for each size, see our Aldaron Essences Sizes and Servings Comparison.
Brandy or Glycerin?
The traditional choice for preserving flower essences, brandy has excellent preservative qualities, offering a shelf life of up to 3 years. For those wishing to avoid even small amounts of alcohol, glycerin is a good alternative. It's an effective preservative, although less so than brandy. Glycerites should be used within 12-18 months. Read our full comparison of the pro's and con's of brandy vs glycerin as preservative.
Dropper or Sprayer?
The choice between dropper and fine mist sprayer is really a matter of personal preference (yours and your dog's). Each is equally effective for administering flower essences. If you're unsure which to choose, read our comparison of dropper versus sprayer.