Our flagship flower essence formula, Aldaron Essences' Very Scary Things combines powerful stress-relieving Rescue Remedy with confidence-building, fear- and anxiety-busting, all-natural flower remedies for a gentle, yet uniquely effective formula. It’s an outstanding blend for easing mild to moderate fear and anxiety in dogs, and even tackles long-standing, persistent fearful behavior resulting from past negative experiences.
If your dog suffers from chronic anxiety, shies and spooks over every little thing (or only very particular things), even if you've thought, “this is just the way she’ll always be…” , give Very Scary Things a try. Your dog will thank you!
"We started using this product, giving it to her three times a day and it has helped her tremendously."
Use Very Scary Things flower essence blend for dogs to help:
- noise phobias: fear of thunder and thunderstorms, fireworks, gunfire, etc. Give 3 doses 5-10 minutes apart in situations that trigger sudden, acute fear reactions.
- speed recovery from scary events: when frightened by loud, aggressive dogs on walks or at dog shows, a bad fall from the agility dogwalk, crashing agility or obedience jumps, startled by a loud teeter crash, rough or frightening handling at the vet's, groomers, or dog class.
- reduce nervousness and vulnerability in dogs that fear any specific triggers: fear of children, fear of men, fear of bikes, cars, skateboards, fear of flags flying, fear of people carrying sticks, canes, umbrellas, etc, etc.
- improve confidence and courage in young dogs in important socialization stages.
- excellent for any dog that reacts to scary things by cringing and cowering, and/or by running away and hiding. Conversely, soothing and calming for the dog that threatens out of pure fear.
- short-term for females that become nervous and easily intimidated prior to coming into season (see also our Edge Off flower essence formula).
Similar Aldaron Essences Canine Behavior Support Formulas
- High Anxiety is the same blend as Very Scary Things, but with an extra flower essence for intense, driven dogs, that frequently ratchet up in intensity when stressed or fearful. High Anxiety is a good choice for frustration-driven reactivity intensified by fear or anxiety.
- Poise is our flower essence blend for Freeze/Fight/Flight terror and panic reactions in dogs - those that freeze up, freak out, or lose it when confined in an uncomfortable, frightening situation. Poise reduces fear and anxiety, and improves self control in strongly fear-reactive dogs.
- Confidence Plus is a great choice for dogs that are not severely stressed, but that lack courage and confidence. This flower essence formula reduces hesitancy and intimidation, and improves confidence, self-assurance, and resiliency in dogs.
- Renew is our flower remedy blend for fearful, depleted dogs suffering from deep emotional wounds. Renew not only addresses stress, anxiety and fear, but promotes emotional healing in depressed, shut down dogs that have suffered abuse or neglect.
- Still searching for just the right blend? You can Design Your Own Formula and choose your own Bach flower essences. Be sure to check out our flower remedy guide, Flower Essences to Help Combat Stress, Fear, and Anxiety in Dogs.
Traditional brandy-preserved: Spring water, brandy (20%), Rescue Remedy, essences of Aspen, Mimulus, Impatiens, Oak, Walnut flowers.
Glycerite: Vegetable glycerin, spring water, Rescue Remedy, essences of Aspen, Mimulus, Impatiens, Oak, Walnut flowers.
Three to four times each day, give your dog 3-4 drops (or 1 spray), either straight into the dog's mouth or added to a treat or meal. Increase frequency as needed in times of stress. Improvement typically begins within 3 to 14 days and gradually builds over time. Read our Instructions on Using and Storing Your Aldaron Essences' Flower Essence Formula.
Flower essences, considered a subtle energy therapy, work to gently correct imbalances in emotional energies. In most cases, you will start by seeing a more balanced, even-keeled reaction in situations that normally trigger a negative or extreme response in your dog. This means that oftentimes what you're looking for is an absence of negative behaviors, or a reduction in their intensity or duration. This is typically intermittent at first, becoming more consistent over time. As you might expect, early behavioral progress tends to be in areas that are less stressful or habitual for the dog, with improvement in more difficult situations building over time. Reinforcing (with praise, affection, etc) the improved responses you see will help speed the process along and help solidify the new, more balanced reactions.
On a physical level, it’s not uncommon to see "softer" eyes, and softer, less tense, more fluid body language, sometimes within minutes of giving the formula. This doesn't always happen - it seems that the more out of balance (e.g. fearful, reactive, stressed) the dog is, the more dramatic the shift will be when first exposed to flower essences. Dogs that are less energetically "out of alignment" tend to respond more gradually and subtly to the balancing effects of flower remedies.
A more in-depth look is available in our article, Flower Essences - What They Are, and How They Can Help your Dog.
Aldaron Essences formulas, and flower essences in general, are not medications and are not a substitute for veterinary care. Behavior problems can be a sign of something physically wrong – please consult with your animal health care professional regularly, and if your dog experiences any sudden or dramatic change in behavior. In cases of aggression or any threatening or potentially dangerous behavior, Aldaron Essences should always be used in conjunction with, and within the overall framework of a sound, behavior-based training program.
Sizes & Servings
Our most popular size for first time buyers is the 1 oz dropper bottle. It contains approximately 600 drops, and will last about 67 days when given at 3 drops, 3 times per day. To compare number of servings, how long a bottle will last, and even your average cost per week for each size, see our Aldaron Essences Sizes and Servings Comparison.
Brandy or Glycerin?
The traditional choice for preserving flower essences, brandy has excellent preservative qualities, offering a shelf life of up to 3 years. For those wishing to avoid even small amounts of alcohol, glycerin is a good alternative. It's an effective preservative, although less so than brandy. Glycerites should be used within 12-18 months. Read our full comparison of the pro's and con's of brandy vs glycerin as preservative.
Dropper or Sprayer?
The choice between dropper and fine mist sprayer is really a matter of personal preference (yours and your dog's). Each is equally effective for administering flower essences. If you're unsure which to choose, read our comparison of dropper versus sprayer.